Friday, January 27, 2012

I Lost My Life on My Way to Law School


I know I had a life. I mean, there was this time in my not so distant past that I was an entertainment publicist. I actually walked the red carpet of the Emmys, Oscars, and the Tonys (sorry, never the Grammys). I knew what was hip and cool in town. I always had the list of the newest, best, most hip places to hang out at my fingertips -- and I had an insider at each and every one of them.

And then I opted to do this law school thing.

Let me paint the picture a little more clearly -- its Friday night, 8:25 p.m, and I am in the library reading cases for the painful appellate brief thats due in 2.5 weeks. I still have reading to do for next week - and cases to brief. And then of course there is the non-stop outlining.

So while my partner enjoys himself in Palm Springs for the weekend, I get a chance to get caught up with my work. Is such a thing even possible? Will Palm Springs become a mystic city i never get to again?

Ah, such is the life of a future legal scholar. Trade in any remnants of a personal life, for an intense intellectual hazing period that you pay dearly for.

Do you know how much Prada I could buy with my tuition money? The horrors.

Okay, enough complaining to the real world, I got a brief to write.

1 comment:

  1. Well let me advise you that are ways around the sacrifices which plaque you now. When I was in law school, I took my books with me to the beach on Sundays so that I could read and enjoy the sun - soaking up the requisite amounts of Vitamin D. Also, I would go to my community pool with my books to read and then take a break in the pool.

    It's called balance - you do have an edge on most folks, as you do know how to write and make better use of your time as you have what most young folks don't have in law school called "life Experience". You also know how to write - which assures that your brief will come in better than you expect. If you keep your as I did, you will read it six years later and say, "shit, I was good."

    And I promise that after you graduate you will wake up periodically in a cold sweat thinking you forgot to read for Wills and Trusts. So my point is as simple as - don't let it rule all aspects of your life, because it is entrenched in you already and will continue to be long after you leave school.

    ReplyDelete